What is a Video Slot?
Video slots utilize video technology in its displays and its inner workings are run by complex software. A video slot machine is able to transform its screen instantly from showing a five-reel slot display to revealing a bonus round that takes you on an adventure that includes images and sounds that utilize high quality animation techniques.
Also, many are themed, thus these are the machines that include super hero, sports, film, comic book, seasonal, holiday, and other themes. Finally, these games have certain features, such as multipliers, wilds, scatters, and bonus rounds that others do not have. These are the various elements that tend to define these types of machines and that make them extremely popular with players. The gaming experience these slots offer is diverse, exciting, and entertaining.
Video Slots Basics
Video slot machines does provide players with a lot more choices than other machines. Here are some of the differences between video and classic slots.
- More paylines, giving players additional chances to win
- Bigger jackpots
- More reels, which makes winning combinations harder to hit
- More expensive maximum bets due to greater amount of paylines
- More prize tiers than three-reel machines
- More choices and rounds
- Some offer more than one bonus round
- Double up option at the end of a bonus round
If you’ve had your fill of the more contemporary video slots, it might be time to check out some classic slot games. Typically three or five reels and one payline, classic slots are filled with nostalgia and simpler themes, and are a fun option for free and real money play.
Playing Video Slots
In playing video slots, it’s important that you understand all of the symbols and features and how they affect the game. The fact is these machines, although simple to play, have complex features and combine elements in such a way that it can be confusing for players. Specialized symbols will open the door to you accessing various features of a video machine and will allow you to win extra cash. Here are some video slot symbols you'll come across:
- Wild - Perhaps the most powerful symbol is the wild icon, as this symbol can become any other symbol on the machine and it will enhance your ability to complete winning combinations. One, two, three, or more wilds may appear at the end of any turn.
- Scatters - Depending on the machine, scatters can have various functions, but usually, the appearance of at least two will propel you into a bonus round. If a machine has more than one bonus round, then a certain number of scatters may be needed to get you to a specific round. The scatter may also trigger free spins, although a different type of symbol or combination of symbols may be responsible for this feature. Free spins are just that, you get to take more turns without spending any additional money.
- Multipliers - These do exactly what it sounds like they do. These symbols increase the payout at any given turn. How much they multiply your payout by depends upon how many symbols show up at one time.
Some common features you'll encounter on your slot gaming journey include:
- Bonus Rounds - These features are a very exciting aspect of any video slot. Almost all video slot machines offer at least one bonus round and some have more. If a machine has more than one type of bonus, access to specific bonuses may be controlled by the number of scatters you collect on one turn or by the progress you make in your initial bonus round.
- Double-up option - Usually found at the end of a bonus round, you'll be prompted to choose between two or three elements, and in making the right choice, your bonus will double. But be careful. If you make the wrong choice, you’ll lose the entire bonus. This is an option so you can decide to opt-out of it and leave the bonus round without risking your winnings.
How We Rate and Review Online Casinos
We assess the range of classic and video slots, video poker, table games, craps, and live casino games.
Safety and Support
Security systems, official licensing, and game regulation are essential. We also evaluate the efficacy of customer support.
Casinos must offer sign-up bonuses, free spins bonuses, reload bonuses, and promotions with fair wagering requirements.
Games must be optimized for modern smartphones and tablets so players can enjoy on-the-go gaming.
We look for a variety of banking methods, instant deposits, and fast payouts with low or no transaction fees.
Our top online casinos will list a selection of progressive jackpots for you to try your luck on.
Casinos listed here have not passed our careful vetting process. Take a look, so you know what casinos to avoid.
Making a deposit with an online casino couldn't be easier. Check out our useful guide for all the information you need.
Our Recommended Video Slots Online
|Game||RTP||Min Bet||Max Bet|
|King Kong Cash||95.79%||-||-|