What Makes an Online Casino Safe and Secure?
It’s not always easy knowing how to differentiate between a secure online casino and a rogue casino but following the steps below will help you make a more informed decision.
- Step 1 – Research the online casino’s history – Google can be your best friend when researching an online casino. Check how long it’s been around for, read reviews, particularly around payment issues and customer service, and avoid at all costs if it’s blacklisted anywhere.
- Step 2 – Check whether it’s regulated and audited – Legitimate casinos are regulated by government organizations, such as the Malta Gaming Authority and UK Gambling Commission. Also, the casino must undergo auditing by an external company, such as eCOGRA and iTech Labs, to investigate the site’s security and game fairness.
- Step 3 – What payment methods are on offer? – The casino should offer a range of popular banking methods, such as Visa and Paypal, which all employ strict security protocols. These methods pay out withdrawals within different time frames, which the site should adhere to. It’s worth testing out a few with minimal funds to ensure the casino is true to its word and to find out which gives the fastest transactions.
- Step 4 – The quality of games and software – You’re there to play, so a decent selection of games by licensed software providers, such as Novomatic and WMS, is essential. Also, a safe and secure casino will offer games that aren’t broken, free as well as real money versions, and mobile-friendly options.
- Step 5 – How efficient is the customer service? – Good customer service indicates a safe and secure casino. Try contacting customer service via every method available and assess its quality against the speed and efficiency of the response. After all, you never know when you might need it.
What Measures Does a Safe and Secure Casino Take?
There are lots of ways online casinos safeguard your data and funds. You’ll be able to identify whether an online casino is secure by checking to see whether it employs at least two or more of the following measures:
- ID verification
It’s increasingly more commonplace to provide ID verification, in the form of a passport or driving license, when you sign up to a new casino. This protects your account, the casino, and your identity. It also prevents under-age gambling.
- 2-step verification
Many casinos now use 2-step verification when you log in, which involves a unique code sent to your mobile device to confirm you’re the account holder.
- Encryption software
The safest online casinos use the best data encryption technology available. This means that information and financial transactions between them and their customers cannot be read or accessed by other people.
- End-to-end encryption
Data encryption scrambles data into unbreakable codes that can only be deciphered by the machine or account of the intended recipient – it’s just like the end-to-end encryption that many messaging apps use.
TLS is a common method of data encryption. Transport Layer Security is the technology that all the major banks use, so you know that your money is safe at online casinos using TLS.
Top 5 Tips from an Online Security Expert
1. Double down on authentication
Use strong, complex passwords that are not based on a dictionary word. Don’t use the same password on multiple sites. Enable two-factor authentication if the site supports it. Store your passwords on a password manager rather than writing them down or keeping them on your computer.
2. Perform regular software updates
Keep your software up to date. That includes not just your device's operating system but also any apps and plugins you use.
3. Safeguard who can access your devices
Only use gambling sites from devices you control. Don’t use financial-based or any other sensitive sites on shared devices such as an Internet café, library, or devices owned or managed by your work.
4. Beware of phishing communications
Be vigilant of emails, phone calls, text messages, etc. from the site. No reputable site will ask you to send them your password for instance. A third-party bad actor may try to trick you into giving up your credentials or other sensitive information by masquerading as a site administrator.
5. Install security software
Use security software such as anti-virus and mobile threat defense. While it won’t stop 100% of cyber-attacks, much like installing a lock or alarm on your home, it will greatly improve your security posture.
Online Gambling Security FAQ
There are lots of safe and secure casinos online, but to narrow it down a bit we recommend you check out our casino reviews. Our team of reviewers carefully assesses each casino and we only promote those we deem secure.
Discover the best classic slots at top online casinos. Hit spin on the much-loved 3 or 5-reel slots and win a prize today!
Slot machines with fun in-game bonus rounds, cash prizes, and re-spins. Learn about the best bonus games you can find hidden inside online slot machines.
Win ever-growing real money jackpots. Discover top online casinos with the biggest progressive jackpot slots to be in with the chance to land a mind-blowing win!
Online slots with multiple paylines for more action. Win big with these fun and rewarding multi-payline online slot games at our top rated casinos.
Fancy a virtual trip to Vegas? Experience the casino floor with the best online Vegas slots and hit spin for a chance to win a payout!